I didn’t want to do the 90-Day Transformation Challenge, but I was “peer pressured” to do it. Of the 5 of us who started together (and you know who you are) only 2 of us remained! I figured, well, I do need to lose my Hurricane Sandy weight! It seems those 2 weeks of makeshift eating and not being able to use the gym opened the flood gates to poor eating habits. Once opened, I just couldn’t shut them again.
At the initial weigh-in, how shocked was I to find out that 1/3 of my body was composed of fat! What? I was practically a solid!
I decided at 58, I wasn’t concerned about getting into a bikini. I was more interested in getting heart healthy. At first it was hard to get into a rhythm. Why wasn’t I losing weight? I got great advice from all the trainers who weighed me in weekly. So, what did this old dog learn?
- Limiting myself to 3 meals a day wasn’t helping me and actually made it difficult to lose body fat because my body thought it was starving and slowed my metabolism to conserve energy.
- Eating 5 smaller meals rich in protein cut my food cravings and made my body burn fat more efficiently.
- Having almonds every time I eat fruit cuts the sugar high and subsequent crash, keeping me on an even keel and stopping the craving cycle.
- I am addicted to cardio classes, but adding weight training to my exercise routine aided in body fat loss.
- The thought of weighing in weekly and recording it keeps me on track.
- I like “shopping” in my own closet and fitting into clothes that had been too tight. It’s like shopping with no money!
When I look at my before and after pictures, I am so surprised. I didn’t kill myself to get here, but I really do see a big change in my body. I am glad that I did the Challenge. I think I will be doing it again in the spring. I will make more of an effort to weight train so my goal will be to add some definition to my body!